Saturday, February 23, 2013

Community work


So I've been trying to think of something we could do as a family to volunteer and give back. I am a strong believer in doing volunteer work whenever you can, and for a while I worked at the Mandurah Wildlife Rescue as a volunteer while the boys were at school and day care. I loved it. It felt good. Good to do something for no physical rewards. Every day I felt I was making a difference, and I want that for my boys. I want them to grow up giving back in a selfless way.

Every time I asked an organisation if there was something the boys and I could do to help, I got the same answer, "the boys are too young, they have to be 16 to register as volunteers and they can't work for us unless they register.

So I've decided to be a regular part of the Two Hands Project.

If you've read my blog, you would have seen this post about our first Two Hands Project participation. We learnt a lot from the experience and it felt good to sleep that night knowing that there was so much less rubbish polluting the waterways and killing the marine animals and wildlife.

So as part of a environmental studies, PE, science, maths (yup, you can make it fit in every subject!), we will be doing this every week on a Wednesday morning. If anyone locally is interested in making it part of their weekly activities (or even just when you can fit it in) please let me know you'd like to come along. 2 hands and 1 hour of your time is all it takes. If you don't live locally, why not consider doing it at a parkland or waterway near you!



The boys with their first rubbish pile from Mandurah Foreshore, back in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment